I got nuts for nuts. I love them. They are so versatile and a great source of protein and fat. It’s hard not to eat too many of them! A while back I went out to dinner with the girls and had an awesome spinach salad topped with chicken, goat cheese and candied pecans. Aside from the chicken, the pecans were my favourite part! They added a touch of sweetness and complemented the balsamic vinegar and EVOO dressing quite well! I was impressed. I wanted more.
Though I’m sure these candied nuts were not paleo by any means, and laden with sugar and some preservative(s) to keep them tasting good, I had the urge to recreate them. And so I did. Using walnuts, maple syrup and tiny bit of sea salt. OMG! These were good. Candied nuts = even harder not to eat too many. Frig.
How could you not be in love???
- 2 cups walnuts, unsalted (you could use any nut you desire!)
- 1/8 cup maple syrup
- pinch of sea salt (it brings out the sweetness even more)
- Preheat oven to 325F
- In a medium sized bowl, combine nuts with maple syrup and sea salt.
- Toss until the nuts are coated.
- Spread evenly on a greased, or parchment covered cookie sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, turning 2-3 times to ensure even cooking.
- Remove from the oven and let cool; store in an air tight container in the fridge. (I used one of my handydandy chalkboard jars again… I just heart them!)
What’s your favourite snack to munch on?