So I woke up today totally thinking it was Friday. I work on the weekends, so Friday’s aren’t really a big deal or anything… but still, finding out it was Thursday just blew. Not to mention the day drrrraaaggggeeeddd on. I think you get my point. A workout was in order, and so was some studying and cleaning. Also, Vampire Diaries is on tonight, so dinner had to be quick and simple.
Total segway here…
This lovely weather sometimes makes me sad. Oh my goodness. Did I just say that? Give me a minute to explain. Unfortunately E and I are NOT, I repeat are NOT allowed to have a barbeque on our patio. <Insert sad face here.> It really is a tradegy, but rules are rules I suppose.
I long for that BBQ taste. I so do. I guess I’ll just have to suck it up. Ha! Yah right.. none of that going on here. In fact how about a juicy chicken breast smothered in homemade barbeque sauce and baked in the oven. Oh you bet I did. So good. A nice red carmalized outside, and a tender chickeny inside.
A big shout out and thank you to Elana’s Pantry recipe for gluten free barbeque sauce. I adapted the recipe for what I had on hand and it was as divine as divine could be. It’s free of gluten, sugar and all that other “jazz” you find in store bought stuff!
- 2 tablespoons EVOO or coconut oil
- 1 1/2 T garlic, crushed
- 1 T onion powder
- 1 1/2 cans of tomato paste (standard can size is 5.5 oz)
- 1 cup orange juice, 100% natural juice
- 2 T ACV
- 1/2 t. dry mustard powder
- 1/2 t. paprika
- 1 t. sea salt
- few shakes of black pepper
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and shallot; cook until soft
- Add tomato paste, orange juice, vinegar, mustard, paprika, salt and pepper
- Simmer over low heat 15 to 20 minutes, stirring often
- Store in an air tight container in the fridge. (I used my nifty chalkboard jars)