Allo! What beautiful weather out today! Ontario reached record breaking temperatures yesterday.. something like 34.8C I believe. And unfortunately it felt the same inside as outside… yah, no air conditioning.
Anywho, the other day I was taking inventory of my spice rack. Oh how I love my spice rack, and realized that I had yet to even open the jar or curry that came with it. I’ll admit, neither Eric or I have ever had curry. The very colour of it is enough to make me cringe. Sad I know right. Apparently there is a whole world I’m missing out on.
You’re supposed to do something every day that scares you right? Or at least that’s what I’ve read. So, I decided to make a curried dish. Yah, I did it. I opened up that jar of curry and poured it on. Did I like it? Well I can’t say that I will be running back for more. Neither will E. But I can officially say I’ve tried curry. So there!
- 1 T coconut oil (or butter, or other oil)
- 1 cup sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup of onions, diced (I used white and green onions)
- 2 t. curry powder
- 1/4 t. sea salt
- 1 egg
- 2 t. almond flour (or other flour)
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk (or yogurt)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Semi cook the sweet potatoes in a pot of boiling water. Cook until cooked “al dente”.
- Meanwhile, melt coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add in drained sweet potatoes, red pepper and onions.
- Cover and cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally until sweet potatoes are fully cooked. Stir in curry powder and salt. Remove from heat, and allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, beat egg and flour together until smooth. Add in coconut milk (or yogurt). Stir in the cooled sweet potato mixture.
- Place in a oven safe dish (or in a tortilla bowl like I did) and bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
And there you have it. Sweet potato curry bowls. These would make super delicious appetizers if you served them in mini wonton wrappers!