This weekend is looking in no way like the last. We’ve got a forecast of rain… rain and oh yeah, more rain! We need it, I’ll admit but it doesn’t make for a very nice weekend to have off! First one in months, and it’s rain 24/7. Darn it!
Anyways, on to more happy thoughts. Last weekend E & I got together with our friends for a bonfire and barbeque. Since our get together happened to be the day before E’s birthday I decided to make a special “birthday cake!” I love birthdays and celebrations because I love to mess around in the kitchen. 🙂
I was going to do another cake similar to the one I did for Kat’s birthday, but I decided to do something different. A rice crispy cake! Not exactly Paleo, however, I did ensure that it was at least gluten free!
Check it out!
The cake, err tower if you will was tall. Ridiculously tall in fact. It had three layers. The base was caramel pretzel, with homemade caramel of course! The second was just plain ol’ rice crispy treats (for those less adventurous) and the top was oreo infused ~ made especially for Kat in mind! Oh and did I mention it was drizzled in homemade chocolate shell to boot!
Here’s how I did it:
Plain Ol’ Treats with a twist
- 5-6 cups of rice crispy cereal (I used gluten free, brown rice crispies)
- 2 T coconut oil, melted
- 250 g marshmallows
- In a pot over medium heat, combine the coconut oil and marshmallows together
- Stir until marshmallows are melted
- Add in rice cripsy cereal, stir together
- Pour into your greased pan and let cool
For the Oreo layer: Add crushed Oreo cookies when adding the cereal to the marshmallows
For the pretzel caramel layer: Add pretzels & caramel when adding the cereal to the marshmallows
Homemade Sugar Free Caramel
- 13 dates, soaked for an hour in 1/2 cup water
- 5 T canned coconut milk
- 3 T water
- 1 t. vanilla
- pinch of sea salt
- Remove dates from water.
- Combine dates, coconut milk and water to blender or food processor and blend until dates are broken down.
- While the blender is running add in vanilla and sea salt.
- Blend until it begins to resemble caramel. Takes approximately 3 minutes.
Homemade Choco Shell
- 1 1/4 cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (measured when solid)
- Melt chocolate chips and coconut together and store in an air tight jar in the fridge.
- When ready to use reheat in the microwave until liquid.
It’s was tres delicious and super easy too! Cutting it on the other hand, was a different story. It was a two woman job.