Soup, soupity, soup, soup! I was in the mood for some soup on this chilly fall evening. My eyes certainly aren’t thanking me- i have a certain love/hate relationship with onions; however, my inner foodie certainly is happy. Happy as can be.
I just made this tonight, but it was so gosh darn tasty that I HAD to share with you ASAP! It’s simple to make, only requiring a few ingredients!
- 1 T fat (I used coconut cream)
- 2 large onions (I used a mix of yellow & red onions), thinly sliced
- 2 C chicken broth
- 1 t thyme, dried
- couple bay leaves
- sea salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, boiled & mashed
- 1/2 C shredded cheddar (Yahhh, I know.. not 100% paleo)
- 1 egg
- In a pot, over medium heat, melt fat.
- Add chopped onions, thyme, bay leaves. Place lid on the pot, leaving it slightly ajar.
- Cook the onions, checking them every 10 minutes or so, until they reduce in size approximately 50%. If they begin to brown, turn down the heat.
- Once the onions are a milky brown colour, add in the chicken broth and simmer on low.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400F.
- Boil the cauliflower in a pot over the stove. Once easily pierced with a fork, strain and mash.
- With the cauliflower, add the cheese and eggs. Mix ingredients together.
- Remove soup base (onions + chicken broth) from heat and laddle into three oven safe dishes.
- Spoon the cauliflower mix over each bowl of soup and place in the oven.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes (until cheese is bubbly).
- Place oven on broil, and broil soup for 1-3 minutes.
- Serve; but be careful! These babies are HOT! CHAUD!