fee. es. tah!
E and I celebrated our friend’s birthday this weekend, with a trip downtown Toronto. The night included a visit to Jack Astor’s, tickets to see a lacrosse game and trip to a cute little Tex Mex inspired bar afterwards. The bar was tres cute, and served the biggest drinks I’ve ever seen. In my life. 3oz of alcohol and served in a wine flute. Amazing.
You know what else was amazing. The delish taco salad I made yesterday night for dinner. It was huge, and was a whole lot of homemade goodness. Tres good!
- 2 ripe avocados, pitted and peeled
- 1 T garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium tomato chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 T lime juice
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- drizzle of olive oil (if you wish to have a creamy texture)
- Throw everything in the blender.
- Blend until desired consistency. Add olive oil for a smooth consistency.
Ughh. Avocados look so friggn’ good.
The salad was the easiest thing in the world. But you’d never know it when you taste it. The pictures do not do it justice. I repeat they do not do it justice. I chopped up a nice head of romaine lettuce, tossed in a few tomatoes and topped it with some ground turkey cooked in homemade taco seasoning, salsa and homemade guac. I am in love. Palpitating heart.
This is another one of those restaurant inspired meals. Everywhere I go, no matter how big or small the restaurant, they seem to offer some kind of cracked peppercorn item. Whether it be a pasta dish, a burger or a steak it’s there. Apparently its a popular flavour. And one that E and I quite like.
Ground turkey was on sale at the local grocery store this week, so I stocked up. And stocking up to me, means buying 4 and 5 pounds of the stuff. Needless to say there is no shortage of ground turkey in our household. So what to do, what to do. The thing I love about ground meat is how versatile it can be. There are endless meal options, which is great because we have an endless supply over here. E said he’s been wanting something different from our usual meals and so I thought let’s give this cracked peppercorn thing a try.
Does the recipe require a bit of tweaking, perhaps. But is it still delicious enough to post and make again. Hell yes. Say hello to my new friend and to a new favourite in our house.
- 1 lb ground turkey (or other ground meat as desired)
- 1/4 cup homemade ketchup
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- dash of salt & pepper
- 2-3 T peppercorns, for grinding
- In a large bowl, combine ground turkey with homemade ketchup, onions and salt and pepper.
- Mix together until just combined. It is important not to over mix as the burgers may become grainy in texture.
- Once combined, grind up the peppercorn until desired consistency. I used a small plug-in coffee grinder and grind until I have a mix of both finely and coarsely ground peppercorns.
- Preheat a non stick pan over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, form the turkey mixture into desired sized burgers. I made four nice sized burgers!
- Coat each side of the burgers with the ground peppercorn, applying slight pressure to ensure it sticks.
- Grill until no longer pink inside; and enjoy! These were scrumptious!